Types of Results
Clients who have used our Leadership Coaching service have had these results:
- Increased their ability to delegate and hold direct reports accountable.
- Learned how to have difficult conversations with peers and subordinates.
- Enjoed greater work satisfaction.
- Clarified their vision.
- Learned how to best use their strengths to move their area forward.
- Identified the need for collegial support and developed strategies to attain it.
- Developed strategies for “managing up” – working with their leader in more productive ways.
- Written better PRDs for staff, resulting in increased performance.
- Increased confidence in their leadership role.
- Enhanced their understanding of the role of gender, race, and other differences in the workplace.
- Gained better understanding of their leadership style and of how others view it
- Increased insight into those who report to them – their motivations, behaviors, desires, strengths and weaknesses.
- Clarified their institutional positioning – where to fit in the university’s structure.
Clients who have used our Conflict Resolution services have had these results:
- Improved their communication skills including constructive confrontation and improved listening.
- Made agreements have been made that all parties actually abide by and which allow them to gain additional resources (e.g. faculty hires).
- Developed their understanding of the ways that personal styles and temperament affect communication.
- Created “rules of engagement” that allowed participants to engage in discussion of differences with more positive results.
- Agreed to use new formats and systems to improve communication.
- Learned to acknowledge, appreciate and manage the array of different approaches to conflict.
- Facilitated success of individual faculty who were no longer expending energy on conflict.
- Resolved long-standing situations that had kept the department virtually paralyzed.
- Built an appreciation of how differences – the multiple dimensions of diversity – come into play in conflict situations.
- Improved retention of faculty and staff through improving the work environment.
- Decided that their current job was not a good fit for them and sought other employment.
Clients who have used our Team Development services have had these results:
- Gained greater agreement on future direction, increased commitment to team decisions and vastly increased follow-through
- Assessed the level of trust group members have in each other and worked through a process to increase it.
- Developed clear definition of roles and responsibilitie, greatly reducing conflict.
- Created “rules of engagement” that allow participants to engage in discussion of differences with more positive results.
- Learned from each other about personal styles and temperaments and how to maximize the diverse resources they bring to the team.
- Increased their skill at holding individuals accountable for commitments to each other and to the team.
- Increased effectiveness of meetings.
- Decreased gossip and talking behind others’ backs, and reduced rumors.
- Increased the recognition of the inter-dependence of team members.
- Made group norms – expectations for behavior – explicit, which allowed them to be acknowledged and adjusted.
- Acknowledged and affirmed diversity in the group and increased understanding of how race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other visible and invisible diversities contribute to group dynamics.
- Increased the ability to have healthy disagreements rather than remain silent.
Clients who have used our Strategic Planning services have had these results:
- Gained agreement on future direction, resulting in greater commitment to decisions.
- Created plans that resulted in new degree programs, new centers, new departmental structures, additional hires, and improved morale.
- Gained key stakeholders’ commitment and involvement.
- Developed clearer, more transparent, and fully supported governance structures.
- Created a shared definition of the desired work culture and intellectual climate.
- Reached agreement on measures of success.
- Aligned budget and spending priorities with departmental direction and goals.
- Increased retention of faculty and staff.
Clients who have used our services to plan and facilitate Retreats have had these results:
- Created “rules of engagement” that allow participants to discuss differences more effectively.
- Designed new systems to improve communication.
- Gained an understanding of the ways that personal styles and temperament affect interaction.
- Made decisions on matters on which the department has been unable to come to closure for years.
- Increased commitment to the goals of the department.
- Gained clearer, more transparent, and fully supported governance structures.
- Clarified job functions and responsibility.
- Possessed an understanding of mutual expectations.
- Identified underlying causes of intractable problems and decided how to move forward.
- Discussed contentious issues, separated intellectual from personal issues, and then made decisions about moving forward.
Clients who have used our services to work with their partners on grants have had these results:
- Gained clarity of roles and responsibilities of all the parties.
- Reached agreement between advisory boards and funders on expectations of project outcomes.
- Reached agreement from major stakeholders on scope and outcomes of funded project.
- Made decisions on goals and methods for inquiry over longer term.
- Developed common vocabulary to define work products and expectations.
- Gained agreement of participants/partners to continue work on the project after the expiration of the grant funding.
- Developed strategy for future funding.
Leadership Team Alignment
Clients who have used our Leadership Team Alignment services have had these results:
- Helped their leader define the future and jointly committed to achieving it.
- Increased commitment to and joint accountability for team decisions.
- Assessed and increased the level of trust between group members.
- Developed a clear definition of roles and responsibilities.
- Reduced damaging conflict.
- Created “rules of engagement” to allow participants to engage in discussions of differences with more positive results.
- Increased recognition of the inter-dependence of team members.
- Made group norms explicit allowing them to be acknowledged and adjusted.
- Increased their ability to challenge the leader constructively and resolve issues.
- Learned about personal styles and temperaments and enhanced team effectiveness.
- Increased the understanding of how race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other visible and invisible diversities contribute to interpersonal and organizational dynamics.
- Increased ability to have healthy disagreements rather than remain silent.
- Increased ability to support each other in achieving their individual and joint goals.
Meeting Design and Facilitation
Clients who have used our Meeting Design and Facilitation services have had these results:
- Increased participation of all participants.
- Clarified meeting purpose, timing and audience.
- Allowed leader to participate in group discussions.
- Enhanced interaction among participants.
- Discussed previously unexplored viewpoints.
- Defined agendas and formats that allowed groups to achieve goals in tight timeframes.
- Allowed long-stalled projects to became unstuck.
- Attained meeting outcomes.
Clients who have used our Focus Group services have had these results:
- Collected information from alumni on their needs, desires, and expectations from a college, tied to their willingness to give to it.
- Collected direct input from students on matters including curriculum, college environment, advising and general expectations.
- Collected input from key external stakeholders – industry leaders – about the expectations they had for graduates of a particular program.
Clients who have used our Change Management services have had these results:
- Established a sense of urgency for change due to decreases in the state budget, to the need for new revenue sources, and market forces.
- Applied for grants, created Centers and made new hires based on long range view of opportunities.
- Created guiding coalitions of formal and informal leaders to lead the change.
- Strengthened the leader’s role and standing in order to inspire substantive and lasting change.
- Developed and communicated a consistent vision and strategy that the leader and guiding coalitions shared consistently throughout the organization.
- Communicated positive changes consistently and through multiple vehicles (email, newsletters, forums, etc.).
- Created tangible rewards for forward movement (raises, additional administrative support and space, upgraded labs, etc.).